Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Public Board / "Pirates of Penzance" orchestra pit trick
- By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2016-01-19 04:29
Ok woodwind experts, what do you think is happening in these pics? Look at the bald dude standing in the background. What is he holding, and what is he doing with it and why?

Tip: This has to do with the tessitura of the bassoon. It's a rare trick; you can play in orchestras for a lifetime and never see this done.

(Sorry the light isn't better. There's a reason why they call it the pit.)

-- tsreknor
Attachment: IMG_0114.rsz.jpg (58k)
Attachment: IMG_0115.rsz.jpg (55k)
Attachment: IMG_0116.rsz.jpg (52k)
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2016-01-19 15:03
Trumpeters use metalic inserts to raise the pitch of the instrument. I guess, the guy in the background put in the insert, so the air came out with higher speed producing higher tone on the bassoon.
- By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2016-01-19 21:25
He's holding a clarinet bell (that's the flared doodad at the bottom of a clarinet), and he's inserting into the end of the bassoon.

The bassoon has a designed pitch range down to low Bb. On this particular song, the composer wrote a descending scale down to low A, i.e. out of range. So what do you do? Extend the length of the tube. It happens, by accident, that a clarinet bell fits into the tube and is just the right length to play low A in tune. So the guy holding the bell (who is playing a flute part) is watching the bassoonist's music (you can see his eyes on it) and plunks the bell into the bassoon at exactly the right moment (split second timing) to play the problem note. Then he immediately removes it and goes and sits down.

So you ask, why does a flautist have all this extra time, and why am I taking pictures instead of playing my instrument (clarinet in this case). Because this particular song had reduced scoring, so most of the wind section was not playing. So not only was it technically possible to fix the out-of-range problem with a trick, but the player next to him was available with his eyes and hands to perform it. A rare trick indeed!

So where did the clarinet bell come from, you ask? The bassoonist also plays clarinet (plus flute, you can see it in the picture), and he brought his own bell from home.

-- tsreknor
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2016-01-20 09:29
Yay, tsreknor!

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I guess I was seeking in the wrong direction, but the field was correct, that is to extend the capabilities of the instrument in question. I always enjoy when composers include special tricks in the pieces. It makes performing the score more exciting.
- By Ecka Estenk (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2016-01-20 21:42
Well, nice going and good explanation,  I didn't know about that before.
Up Topic Public Area / Public Board / "Pirates of Penzance" orchestra pit trick