Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Plugins / iPad Plugins
- By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-11-20 22:22
So about those rumors you've been hearing that VO doesn't run on an iPad, or doesn't run with plugins. I was just given a new iPad Mini, and did not seem to have any problem.

When I turned the machine on, the first thing I did was upgrade to the latest OS, iOS 7.0.4. Then I went looking for VO. It's in the App Store as Vendetta Online. I installed and opened it. The first thing it does is take you through some tutorials to familiarize you with flying a ship using a tablet. After passing the tut, I was at the familiar VO login screen. I logged in to a non-TGFT character, saw that everything seemed to be there and working, and logged out.

The next issue was to install plugins by jailbreaking iOS. I didn't know anything about this, but a little Googling led me to an application called iFunBox. I installed iFunBox on my MacBook Pro, and connected the iPad to it with USB. iFunBox opens up the iPad file directories and allows file transfers to and from the host computer. To install VO plugins, you have to access the correct directory level. Wherever errors.log is, that's the level to use. On my machine, it's at User Applications -> Vendetta Online -> Library -> Application Support -> IPAD. It took some hunting to find, but there were all of the files I'm used to seeing in the Vendetta folder on other computers. I created a folder called plugins and thought about what to test it with. I decided on TA because it has a UI and doesn't require being in space to see if it is working. Using iFunBox, I copied the TA folder from the Mac to the new plugins folder on the iPad, and launched VO. Once I was logged in, I type /ta in the chat line and up came the familiar TA UI.

I haven't gone any further, because I felt this much established that I had what I needed.

-- tsreknor
- By Ecka Estenk (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2013-11-20 23:17
A very useful tip, thanks.
- By Lisa201 (Trident Captain) Date 2013-11-21 00:34
Thanks tsreknor!  Those with iPads will be happy to know this!
- By Lunchfoot (Trident Captain) Date 2013-11-21 16:34
Way to go- that is a big discovery!
- By Yettan-Do Date 2013-11-22 21:13 Edited 2013-11-22 22:56
Tried copying files..target less and [others] from windows PC as above..Nada I have a feeling you need apple downloads.
- By Xtoph (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2015-06-05 15:20
bad news - if you upgraded to ios 8.3 (latest version) you can not install plug ins.  Apple locked out jailbreak access. There is currently only a simi jail break which allows intallation of Cydia which is useless for installing plug ins, good for installing non apple store apps.  The talk on the net is that ios 8.4 will be breakable.  I think it would be totally possible for vendetta to create an ios app that would allow installation of plug ins but that would take dev time.  If you upgraded your installed plug ins should continue to work.
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2015-06-08 08:23
Just a humble question.... You cannot copy files into the .plugins folder under iOS? That is ridiculos! What an OS is which prohibits copying files to your own folder/tree??? That is why I never us Apple. Try linux, you'll experience freedom!
- By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2015-06-08 15:18
Yes, that's correct. You cannot access the OS to move files etc.

-- tsreknor
- By Anewold (Goliath/Trident Captain) Date 2017-06-13 13:08
One problem. if its new and under warranty the jailbreaking breaks the contract and therefore u have no warranty.
- By danstr Date 2017-06-13 15:12
NOTE - Apple are bringing in a new filesystem. This may change how plugins work, since it's supposedly more secure
- By Cron Zelane Date 2017-07-10 15:27
Had tried this method a while back and it never worked. My Apple devices are not jailbroken. All I could manage to do was copy plugins folder to a Vendetta Online folder under App File Sharing, but no plugins ever loaded. I guess I never bothered to delete the files, because today plugins just loaded! I have now used iFunBox to install all the plugins I use plus DroidButtons. All are working great now. iFunBox path for me is: iPad, (iOS10.3.2)[jailed] --> App File Sharing --> Vendetta Online -- > plugins

Not sure what has changed, but am happy to use plugins with my iOS devices. Now off to order my GameVice! Cheers.
- By Barktooth (Councilor) Date 2017-07-10 22:13
Nice, happy to hear they work now! \o/
Up Topic Public Area / Plugins / iPad Plugins