Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Hardware Help and Settings / Joy stick question
- By Amirella Date 2013-08-26 00:51
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I was thinking about playing with a joystick and decided that the only way I would is if I could have two sticks - one leftrightupdown one lookleftrightupdown amd have two footpedals to controll roll left and roll right. This is possible?
- By Lunchfoot (Trident Captain) Date 2013-08-26 01:11 Edited 2013-08-26 03:57
sounds like combination of lisa and tsreknor's set ups ?  except of course, ts uses pedals for distance control instead.  I'll butt out now, since I'm a lowly mouse guy :)
- By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-08-26 01:18
My js is a Saitek X-52 Pro. I like it because it has a very stable center and a dual trigger. The latter means that I just squeeze a little harder to fire a flare. I use js hat for strafe and kb for roll. As Lunch said, I use pedals for forward/back.

When I had dinner with Ecka and Blad, some of the conversation was controls. We quickly discovered that each of us had ideas that made no sense at all to the other two. Ecka gave me a priceless, puzzled, dismissive look as he tried pantomiming what I do with my left hand. My conclusion is that you should listen to others, but use whatever is natural and comfortable for you.

-- tsreknor

P.S. I'm moving this thread to the pvp board.
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2013-08-27 15:28
What I can add: I use a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D. Pitch, Yaw and Roll set up for the 3 axes of the stick. I have tried to put strafe to the Hat but it was impossible to train my fingers to move independently when controlling the stick (hand) the hat(thumb) the primary trigger (index) and use the secondary trigger with the thumb diverted between the hat and the button.

So at the moment I do the strafe with the base 4 buttons on the stick and don't use the hat at all.

And one more thing the throttle lever at the base of the stick is used for speed control. (I mostly fly F/A on.) With a little practice I can really enjoy botting in HS missions, but had little opportunity to do pvp against human opponents.
- By Patterner (Foo McQuux) Date 2013-08-27 16:11
That's basically the same setup I used.

Base buttons are strafe (4x), turbo and Activate. Top buttons are accelerate/decelerate, Toggle F/A and Third Trigger. Top hat is target nearest enemy, last enemy, cargo and stuff :)
- By Lisa201 (Trident Captain) Date 2013-08-27 22:04
I use two joysticks; left one is a Logitech attack3, and the right is a Thrustmaster 16000M (hal effect)

Left:
picture the base of the joystick stuck against the display; strafe left, strafe right, strafe up, strafe down.
Stick buttons: turbo, accel, decel, FA Toggle, target closest enemy,
Base buttons: Infinateturbo lock/unlock, cargo dump, turboHopper toggle

Right:
Stick; Roll, Pitch, turn(twist), (setup like for an airplane)
Butons: shoot2, shoot1, shoot3, brakes (hat is not used)
Base buttons:  toggle MetaAim, don't use the other buttons much, so 11 un-used base buttons.
- By Brewski ODoyle Date 2013-08-29 00:46
Has anyone gotten an xbox controller to work well? I tried it and it was a disaster.
- By Patterner (Foo McQuux) Date 2013-08-29 15:42
I tried the Logitech G13 and it was a disaster too :)
- By Ecka Estenk (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2013-08-29 16:56
Aye, I use an x52 RH and a gamepad that is like an xbox but has a usb connection LH.

The best advice is to try a cheap or borrowed js and see how it feels in combat. No point in spending a lot until you feel it works for you.
- By kennyb (Trident Captain) Date 2013-08-29 23:19
I use a Logitech g13 (for the keypad, not the little useless thumb joystick) on my left hand and the Saitek st290pro joystick on my right. I want to try pedals for the distance control since my left thumb isn't all that good at hitting those two buttons while my other four fingers are dancing the strafing movements on the g13 keyboard. Distance control may be one of my weaknesses.
- By Muskrat Date 2014-03-15 15:03
I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro w 12 buttons.

I use keyboard for strafing, thrust, brake, etc.  and use joystick for pitch, turn, roll, I only use buttons on top of handle, trigger is main weapon, then I've programmed second wep, and for top buttons I use 3rd wep, turbo, and Activate.

On top of joystick it has another little axis control, I believe it's referred as a hat switch but I don't know how or what to use it for.

Any suggestions for set-up or more efficient use of joystick?
I initially programmed other buttons and axis but I had a hard time remembering what button did what so I kept it somewhat simple.
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2014-03-15 15:16
Mine is the same too.

I have tried to map the strafe to the hat switch. I found it impossible to operate my thumb independently from the wrist movements, so that I can strafe freely while doing other movements with the stick itself and the twist handle.

My current button mapping is the following:

Trigger pri wep
hat: not used
thumb button: sec wep
2 buttons besides the hat: left: target forward right: target closest enemy
2 buttons slightly below the hat: left: F/A toggle right: activate
6 buttons on the left of the base: from closest to me to farthest and from left to right: turbo, unused, strafe left strafe down strafe up strafe right

I hope it helps.
- By lluvia acida Date 2014-03-16 03:33
You can map the hat switch.  I'll toss up my settings if you'd like.
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2014-03-16 09:33
The hat switch accepted only axis type mappings from me. No button type mappings. But I'd like to see your versio, maybe it helps me figure out what I have done wrong.
- By Lisa201 (Trident Captain) Date 2014-03-16 16:32
There's a plugin that allows you to change a axis type hat to a button type... not sure what it's called, and I have not tried it.  Just remember seeing it and thinking that might be handy.
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2014-03-16 21:36
Thanks for the clue. I'll try to figure out the workaround!
- By lluvia acida Date 2014-03-17 23:49 Edited 2014-03-17 23:53
Here's my settings:

[Logitech Logitech Extreme 3D (/dev/input/js0)]
enabled=1
binds=-
JOYX=Turn
xaxisinvert=1
xaxiscenter=0
xaxismindeadzone=-10
xaxisdeadzone=10
xaxisminsaturation=-95
xaxissaturation=95
JOYY=Pitch
yaxisinvert=0
yaxiscenter=0
yaxismindeadzone=-10
yaxisdeadzone=10
yaxisminsaturation=-95
yaxissaturation=95
JOYZ=Roll
zaxisinvert=0
zaxiscenter=0
zaxismindeadzone=-10
zaxisdeadzone=10
zaxisminsaturation=-95
zaxissaturation=95
JOYRX=Throttle
Rxaxisinvert=0
Rxaxiscenter=0
Rxaxismindeadzone=-10
Rxaxisdeadzone=10
Rxaxisminsaturation=-95
Rxaxissaturation=95
JOYRY=StrafeLR
Ryaxisinvert=0
Ryaxiscenter=0
Ryaxismindeadzone=-10
Ryaxisdeadzone=10
Ryaxisminsaturation=-95
Ryaxissaturation=95
JOYRZ=StrafeUD
Rzaxisinvert=1
Rzaxiscenter=0
Rzaxismindeadzone=-10
Rzaxisdeadzone=10
Rzaxisminsaturation=-95
Rzaxissaturation=95
JOYBUTTON0=+Shoot2
JOYBUTTON1=+Shoot1
JOYBUTTON2=FlyModeToggle
JOYBUTTON3=toggleautoaim
JOYBUTTON4=ttog
JOYBUTTON5=+Turbo
JOYBUTTON6=+Accelerate
JOYBUTTON7=+Decelerate
JOYBUTTON8=
JOYBUTTON9=
JOYBUTTON10=+ptt
JOYBUTTON11=Activate

JOYRY and JOYRZ are the hat switch.

Hope that helps some.  This is on the Linux client btw.
- By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2014-03-18 06:47
Hi lluvia,

I'm on a linux client too! And this was exactly my point too. The strafe is mapped to the hat switch as axes. Maybe it is my "defect" or lack of diligent practice, that I couldn't independently control my wrist and hand movement from my thumb movement. With the right hand controlling the yaw/pitch/roll axes on the stick within intense combat I found it impossible to make delicate controlled opposite movements with only my thumb, to strafe. Moreover the thumb is sometimes required for firing secondary wep, which was mapped to JOY0Button 1 iirc, which is also thumb operated, but it is on the upper left hand side of the stick.

Nevertheless thanks for sharing!

BM
- By Muskrat Date 2014-03-18 13:43
So would it be possible to assign commands from plugins just like binds?
Could I assign the /tur command to the hat-switch,  or even better the specific turret to each extreme of the axis?
- By Cron Zelane Date 2014-03-18 14:03 Edited 2014-03-18 19:04
I have seen this plugin claims to bind joystick axis to commands that normally require digital controls, have a look it may work for you:

http://www.voupr.com/plugin.php?name=analogtodigital

If you know the control map name you can bind tur and hop turrets. I use the plugin and have the command mapped to the DPadLeft on my DS4. For me it looks like this "bind DPadLeft tur" in the wgaf.cfg file.

Edit: I use  Modified Turret Plugin found here http://www.tgft.org/forum/topic_show.pl?tid=5228. I do not use the Analog To Digital plugin since I do a simple bind 'tur' to a button not an axis.
Up Topic Public Area / Hardware Help and Settings / Joy stick question