Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / Do you Remember
- - By Boanerges (Lieutenant / Council / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 12:55
I was thinking this morning (a bad mistake) about the many things I have seen and wondered "Do You Remember". Some may need to Google to find out what some are about.

1-The Space Shuttle Exploded shortly after take-off.
2-JFK was shot in Texas
3-All Televisions were B&W and the children were the "remote controls", and if you were lucky, you had 3 channels.
4-Gas was cheap. I used to ride a Motorcycle and could leave home with one Dollar, ride a long way, stop for gas, fill up, get Drink and snack, and GET CHANGE BACK.
5-A One Room School House - 8 Grades and one Teacher - I not only remember them, I attended one for a while.
6-A House without "Indoor Pluming" - I lived in couple of them a "few years" ago.
7-ALL Internet was Dial Up with a 56k Modem.
8-All Games were played around a table on a "board".
9-Being "sent to your room" was actually punishment.
10-Children played "outside" and had friends they did things with (that they actually could "see and touch").
11-The first Space Flight and the first Moon Landing.
12-What PT-109 is?
13-What we did before we could "Google"?

Well, the list could go on and on, but I am stopping so others can add to the list the things they remember from "back when".
Parent - - By Lisa201 (Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 13:27
This takes me back in time!  I remember most of these things.

2- I was too young to really remember jfk getting shot.
6- Knew a few people that didn't have in-door plumbing, but was because they chose that.
7- Dial up!  Mine was 300 baud!  And I had to dial the bbs number then connect.
12- Wasn't that the boat in McHales navy?  Not sure..
13- we had a set of "World Book"

14 - Pong?
15 - BASIC
16 - fortran punch cards
Parent - By Boanerges (Lieutenant / Council / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 19:16
I think McCales Navy ship was PT-73.
Parent - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 19:25
PT-109 was JFK's boat.

-- tsreknor
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 15:34
I remember writing FORTRAN IV programs on paper tape.
No computers.
Favorite childhood TV shows were Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, and Roy Rogers. And they weren't reruns.
Two TV networks (ABC came later).
Studebakers, Nashes and Packards. And not all cars had radios.

I'll think of more later ...

-- tsreknor
Parent - - By Patterner (Foo McQuux) Date 2013-03-17 15:52
Pffft.... I was writing COBOL two days ago... (Enterprise COBOL for z/OS, but still...)

(P.S: cannot connect to server, otherwise I'd be playing)
Parent - By Wild Gramps Date 2013-03-17 16:19
17 No Interstates to drive on

18 tsreknor add Sky King to the favorite show list on TV

19 Ed Sullivan Variety Show

20 Elvis Presley doing LIVE concerts

21 All planes having 3 wheels, two under the wings and one mounted to the tail of the plane

22 Cokes only cost 5 cents and came out of a machine in real GLASS bottles

23 Gas Wars where gas stations sold Gas for a penny a gallon

24 Vietnam War

25 HIPPIES
Parent - By Patterner (Foo McQuux) Date 2013-03-17 16:24
I remember the first broadcast of "Star Trek" :)
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 19:22
The doctor made house calls and the milkman delivered the milk -- in glass bottles.
Nuclear attack drills at school.
Salk polio vaccine, administered orally.
Newsreels and double features at the movies. It was a rare treat when a movie was in color. Drive-in movies were popular.
Party lines, and of course no cell phones. Wifey remembers hand-crank phones.
Hand-crank clothes washers, and you dried the clothes on a clothesline in the back yard.
U.S. route 66.
No dishwashers or microwaves.
No security screenings.
Opening of Disneyland (and there was only one).
48 states in the U.S.
Military draft in the U.S.
Parent - - By Boanerges (Lieutenant / Council / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 19:45
I saw in a Museum an early Clothes Washer that was powered by a "tread mill" type belt that the family dog walked on. It was kinda like the one Astro on "The Jetsons" walked on, only the dog walking turned the gears to work the washer.

And, the method of drying clothes is coming back as the new "fresh air, solar powered" clothes dryer. It is same thing, only new name for the times.

Some folks had a hunting cabin up in the W. Va. mountains where they needed to open the kitchen door to see in the oven on the wood cook stove. They had a Generator in the yard so they could watch the ball games on TV.
Parent - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 19:58
Yes, my family had a fishing cabin in a backwoods area of Illinois. No electricity, hand-pumped well, outhouse, wood stove.

-- tsreknor
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 19:31
Phonograph records (78 rpm, the real kind).
That newfangled 8-track tape thingy quickly ended up in the oblivion it deserved.
Beta Max videotape likewise.
TVs had actual tuners on them, and there was an art to adjusting it exactly right while somebody stood outside and fussed with the antenna direction.

-- tsreknor
Parent - By Keeper Date 2013-03-17 21:32 Edited 2013-03-17 23:44
the wackiest ship in the army, the pink submarine, I dream of genie, F troop and The Jack Benny Show (tv shows)

the 1st moon landing, the first satilite is space (spunket/monkey) USSR

a plastic film you could put on your tv to make it "appear" color

you could leave things in your auto with the top down and doors unlocked

dirt or red dog roads

"they" lived on one side of the tracks and you didn't, all white classrooms

the start of the nam "police action"

Atari computers, timex Sinclair computers

writing prograns in fortran, cobol, rpg, on punch cards

12" hard drives, tape backup systems, 8 inch floppy drives

loading programs to your computer from a cassette tape

churches being full every sunday

everyone believing in god

records 33 1/2 the real thing

rabbit ear antenna

5 cent soda and candy

air raid sirens going off

mothers that STAYED home instead of working

hi test gas that cost 23 cents a gallon

cloth diapers

diaper delivery

milk in glass jars
Parent - - By Lisa201 (Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-17 21:35
I laugh because Beta was a way better format that VHS, but everyone had VHS...  Strange how that works out.. first to market!
Parent - By Keeper Date 2013-03-17 23:43
lol BUT all the news crews use beta!!!!
Parent - - By Boanerges (Lieutenant / Council / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-18 02:16
I can remember places on small creeks and rivers with no bridges. You would drive thru the water. One was at a "hunting cabin" my dad went to on occasion and at times, when the river was a little high, he would stop the car and take off the fan belt till we got to other side. It kept the fan from throwing water up on engine and electrical parts that would short out. I had a walk over "swinging bridge" for those who did not want to drive thru the river.

There is one place near where I was raised in West Virginia where they built new bridge from one mountain to another. The "old way" took about 30 min as you turned back and forth as the narrow road went down one mountain, crossed a narrow bridge, and then wound back up the other mountain. The trip now takes about 30 seconds. The bridge is high enough that you can parachute off the side of it, and it is closed one day a year in October and they will let you do it as they have bridge day celebration. Google it - New River Gorge Bridge. It is high enough off the river that the Statue of Liberty and base would fit under it.

And we could go on and on about the good old TV shows. Some kids recently were watching "The Little Rascals" and thought they had something new. Same with "The Three Stooges".

It still amazes me to watch some old shows and movies and see a totally unknown actor or actress (or at least they were then) that has since become a great well know actor or actress. The Twilight Zone reruns are good for that.
Parent - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-18 02:35
Some of my other favorite old TV shows were Doby Gillis, Captain Kangaroo (very old, broadcast live), Fury, Howdy Doody, I Love Lucy, Friday Night Fights (Remember the Gillette jingle? It came from the NBC signature chime.), Mickey Mouse Club (I saw the first broadcasts, Annette Funicello live), Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Leave It to Beaver, etc etc. If I were just a little older, I would likely remember old radio shows.

-- tsreknor

And does anyone remember a young kid actor named Steven McQueen in the unforgettable "The Blob"?
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-19 17:58
Elevators had operators, and there were no credit cards. As I recall, those started with gas cards in the 1970s. If you went on a trip, you carried travelers' checks.

-- tsreknor
Parent - By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-19 18:53
Wow... so many memories. I decided to add mine too (though not as old as those mentioned by some of you)

1. I wasn't born when JFK was shot. It is history for me from the school textbooks.
2. I played and made some basic graphics on a Commodore +4 when 10, it was a great thing at that time (early 1990-s) in our country.
3. My family got the first car, Trabant 601 (601 goes for the engine volume in cm3)
4. There was no TV broadcast on Mondays, so we watched the broadcast coming from Yugoslavia (I lived close to the border)
5. I started to study, work on my first PC (386SX with 2 MB of RAM and 170 MB of HDD, Windows 3.1 installed)
Parent - - By Trader Jack Date 2013-03-28 02:09
Lisa claims to be a couple years older than me, so I remember a lot of what she does, and boy, this trip down memory lane, ouch, what a bumpy road it is.

My great aunt knew the true ice man (men).  They would have blocks of ice in the back of a covered wagon, and the horse would know the route.  The ice man would place the ice in the hole in the barn, cover each layer with straw, and repeat until you filled that 6 foot deep hole.  You may consider cruise control a luxury now days, yet with a horse that knows where to go, when, and the only thing you have to do is add fuel (hay and sugar cubes), it was better than what you can find today - a car that drives itself (nayyyyy).

Modems started out for the AP (Associated Press) and news reporting, so it was for teletypes, and you may of gotten 75 baud, not that fast 300 baud mentioned above.  And the first computer I actually used, not came in contact with, was a Sanyo MCB 550 - 2 DSSD 5 1/4 floppy (180KB) , 64KB RAM, 10MB HDD, 15" monochrome (green) display, running M$-DOS 2.11, WordStar (dot commands), SuperCalc, Turbo Pascal, GWBASIC, etc.  I have had the joy of using/programming Apple IIc/e, Commodore 128 (knew the 64 existed, yet none of my friends/schools had it), big iron meant a mainframe computer by IBM, yet HP and Hatichi was doing what they could to cut into IBM's (the 370) market.  One Halloween I created a robot costume using the smaller 7" reels of tape for eyes, the tape formed the mouth, and a punch card for a nose that could go in and out.

Scooby Doo, and that moon based show - forget the name, along with lost in space.  And yes, can't forget Star Trek or M*A*S*H.  Music included The Count and The Duke, Led Zepplin, Janis Japlin, Jimmy Hendrix, Conway Tweety, Johny Cash, and so many more.

I am too young to of seen JFK, yet remember his younger brother Bobby, just didn't know how important the event was.  Watched the splash down of the capsule that returned the men from the moon, again, I just was interested, didn't realize what history I was watching. 

My dad reminds me that he could attend a movie, and get a hot dog and soda pop, all for a quarter, and still have a nickle left over.  My parents have informed me that I should be glad for indoor plumbing, as it was not until they where in high school before it was installed in their houses, and you may still be able to see the outhouse out back of their childhood houses, for convenience when working in the back yard garden.   Kerosene lamps where still popular, and the AM radio was a treat to listen to on Sunday evenings.  

10 REM Code could be so much fun
20 GOTO HELL
RUN
ERROR NO HELL DEFINED
' Ya, right
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2013-03-28 02:54
Looking back, it seems to me that some revolutionary events seem less so to following generations that didn't experience it in real time. I mean things that suddenly and irreversibly changed some aspect of life. For me, there are two, both in the entertainment realm:

-- The Beatles suddenly being heard on the radio in the U.S. You just can't imagine how quickly rock'n'roll turned into rock unless you were there. Almost overnight, music changed, and it changed permanently.

-- The first Star Wars movie. To fully get this, you have to recall that the original cheesy-looking Star Trek TV series was state-of-the-art at the time. Again, unless you were there, you cannot imagine the how stunning was the experience of seeing that first scene in Star Wars where an immense ship is being chased by an even more immense ship. It was jaw-dropping at the time.

Other things in my youth happened more slowly and didn't have the same instant impact. The Kennedy assassination and funeral were a big shock, but it was over in a few days, and life got going again under the Johnson administration, which did a lot of the same things. The moon program was exciting and had lots of cool visuals, but it took decades to unfold. For me, Neil Armstrong's first step and obviously prepped first quote were anticlimactic. The Gemini program, with its space walks, was far more immediate and engaging than Apollo. The teen revolution of the 1960s was certainly something you had to experience first-hand to fully grasp, but again, it took a while to develop, and there was no single revolutionary event. The Kent State shootings, the "summer of love" in San Francisco, the Vietnam and draft protests, and Woodstock were all important, but none of them made instant, fundamental changes.

Just an old dude's two-cents' worth,
-- tsreknor
Parent - By Keeper Date 2013-03-28 14:13
Neil Armstrongs' quote was cut it really said "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind who will come in peace to this amazing place"
Parent - By Psyonic Phoenix Date 2013-04-20 19:43
Pong was my first video Game.

my first computer connected to others using a 300baud modem and used a tape backup.

I played the first version of this game when it first came out in 1985.  It was called "Elite"

We had TV shows that were not serious but seriously FUNNY!

We had gas for $.40-$.60 cents

we had to get gas on certain days based on our licence plates during a gas shortage scare.

The begining of cable, MTV, HBO, and more channels than 3!

The debut of Thriller by Michael Jackson

standing in line for 4 hours to see E.T.  While waiting watching people play games and other stuff while in line.

The release of Star Wars, The Original

Telephone Line Sharing

Rotary Telephones

The birth of VCR, Microwave & Walkmans

The birth of Tape Cassette

The death of 8 track

The death of B & W tv's
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / Do you Remember