Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / What Earth does with his free time when he's not playing VO
- - By Earthshine Date 2012-09-12 01:31
Video Link requested by lluvia
Parent - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2012-09-12 01:34
Very nice, thanks :)

-- tsreknor
Parent - - By lluvia acida Date 2012-09-12 02:07
Thanks!

Now I have to go looking for a motorcycle for next year.  :lol:
Parent - - By Lisa201 (Trident Captain) Date 2012-09-12 13:54
I'm already shopping for a motorcycle!  I learned to ride a Honda Nighthawk 750 a few years ago, and miss it. (but not the boyfriend it belonged to)

Now I think the Honda Shadow might be a good choice for me.
Parent - - By lluvia acida Date 2012-09-12 20:20
The new 2013 Shadow Phantom looks really nice.  Will have to stop by our local dealer this weekend and see what they have.
Parent - By Patterner (Foo McQuux) Date 2012-09-12 21:15
I want the Yamaha from Snow Crash :grin:
Parent - - By Earthshine Date 2012-09-13 22:46
Personally I preferred the Nighthawk standard over the more common cruiser variety. They made a nice one in 2007 model year, and then there was the Nighthawk S of old... Was a great little bike. I also loved my first Kawasaki KZ1100A, which was essentially the souped-up +100cc road variant of the 80s police cruiser. Big, comfy, stripped down without fairings or windscreen, it was like a cross between a big touring bike, a cruiser, and a cafe racer. It was the only big cruiser I've ever ridden that you'd be unintentionally popping wheelies in second gear. The best part is they're cheap and easy to find out in the midwest, especially in the more popular KZ1000 police variant, and parts aren't too hard to come by considering its age. I'd easily recommend it if you're looking for an affordable cruiser style bike to ride two up.

After my KZ1100, I had a Yamaha XJ600S Seca II for a while, also stripped down and converted into a naked bike. It was a very nice, fun little bike, but lacked the power of the bigger engines, and was way too small and not geared for long trips or the freeway. It was more of an around town sort of deal.

Then I had to sell it when I moved to California, couldn't take it with me, and couldn't register or smog it if I wanted to. Looking for new bikes out here I had a chance to ride one of my housemates' 1986 VF700F Interceptor, and I just fell in love with the thing. It's like a mashup between a sport bike and a standard, looks and sounds beautiful with the 700CC V-4, and one of the most neutral handling bikes I've ever ridden. I turned around, did some research, and ended up buying a 5th gen VFR800. It's a fantastic happy medium between the power of an inline 4, and the torque of a V-twin, sounds more amazing than either, handles like a sport bike, but is comfy like a tourer. It delivers on that 'hand of God' feel when you crack open the throttle and just get thrusted forward by the seat of your pants. It's a sport touring bike with a capital 'S' compared to most of its competitors on the market which are more of a capital 'T', and I feel like I'm going to love it to death and not need another bike for a long time, or at least until the itis hits.

Until just recently I really preferred naked bikes over any faired affair, and I still would give my firstborn to own a K1300R... but IMO, the new keeper of the title of sexiest bike in the universe has to go to the 1199 Panigale. The only downside is that I'm not rich, tiny, or Italian enough to ever own one (I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't need a passenger seat since your girl should ride her own bike. (; ).

DAT. HOTNESS.
Parent - - By lluvia acida Date 2012-09-14 00:01
Thanks Earthshine.

Wow, that Ducati is a really sexy looking bike.  I like what they did with the exhaust.

I rode a few Ducati's back in the late early 70's,  had the shifter on the right vs left.  That was not much fun, but was better than a Indian with a suicide shifter.  heh
Parent - By Earthshine Date 2012-09-14 00:09 Edited 2012-09-14 00:11
Is that not like the most photogenic bike ever? It's also asymmetrical despite having the exhaust on both sides like that, due to the single sided swingarm, rear suspension, and fuel system. It looks different but equally pretty from both sides.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you have Ducati's new Diavel, which is really ass ugly in photos, but actually not so bad in person. Reminds me of the bastard child of a cafe racer and the Judge Dredd bike.

It makes up for it in performance and comfort, though... oh does it ever.
Parent - By Bladerus Mortus (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2012-09-12 05:54
Oh heaven and hell... That looks awesome!
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / What Earth does with his free time when he's not playing VO