Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / applE
- - By Nil ajos Kemi Date 2005-06-07 02:32
What do you feel about apple's move to intel? I personally think its a bit startling, and there is definetly something I/we don't know, but luckily apple seems quite prepared for it.
Parent - - By Screwball Date 2005-06-07 04:25
Boing!  Moved to off-topic, because it isn't guild-related.  Interesting topic, though...

It's a good move for two reasons.

1) It allows them to use a commodity processor, which lowers prices.
2) It allows them to leverage the rapid pace of processor development spurred by the competitve PC hardware market (AMD vs Intel), whereas IBM and Motorola were not keeping pace with the PowerPC.

Another reason that I suspect will help down the road is that if Apple is smart, their OS will run on PC clones, which could increase OS market share greatly.
Parent - By Nil ajos Kemi Date 2005-06-07 04:52
Okok, I thought it was development related, but oh well :-)

I agree with you after thinking about it. Someone said "what if next week appel (spelling is intentional) turned around with a multi-core hyperthreaded RISC 64 bit 4ghz CPU with AltiVec?", and though that is quite an exageration (if even possible), but it gets the point across nicely.

Seeing as this is offtopic, check out this myst 5 pano: http://www.myst-tree.com/05/ofwoodandstone.mov O_O!
Parent - - By Moby Dick (Forum Admin) Date 2005-06-07 20:15
I'm very surprised they didn't pick up AMD.  AMD's Athlon64s run cooler and perform better (especially when in 64bit'ness) than Intel's P4s.
Parent - - By Screwball Date 2005-06-08 01:22
Me too.  I think perhaps Intel wanted their business enough to give them a steep discount.
Parent - - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2005-06-08 08:29
...or they signed up for P4's so they could be a part of the Next Big Thing from Intel?
Aren't they coming out with a massive dual-core 64-bit monster "soon"?
Parent - By Nil ajos Kemi Date 2005-06-08 16:15
Thats what I was thinking. I don't think they are in this deal for p4s.
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / applE