Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / Automaticity
- - By shna_ Date 2009-12-26 18:36
The unbearable automaticity of being
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2009-12-26 19:10
Interesting abstract, quite out of my field, of course.

So let's presume, as the authors assert, that most of our mental processes are automatic. Even putting it that way implies a conclusion that some are not. Which of the two categories is more important? Mere preponderance, of course, does not establish significance.

For example, when peytros sings "Jingle Bells" on 100, is he beneficently keeping himself grounded in his current environment, and when momerath mutes him, is he doing the same? When people behave predictably, is that evidence of the application of automatic mental processes? And when they take a new fork in the road, is this evidence of the other? And which is more important? And how will any of this help me kill tumblemonster?

Actually, assuming, for the sake of argument, that automaticity is a fact, I see no reason to view it as unbearable. Some degree of stability in peoples' behavior is a good thing, it seems to me.

Inquiring minds seek to know,

-- tsreknor
Parent - - By Wild Gramps Date 2009-12-26 22:44
And  yet within every individual there exists some degree of instability, since we all walk a narrow thin line between good and evil and it is so easy to crossover that thin line.
Parent - - By John Eldritch Date 2009-12-26 23:59 Edited 2009-12-27 00:02
tl:dr

P.S. think I just crossed over into evil ;-)
Parent - By Hortan Date 2009-12-28 14:39
Hortan gulps the fiery liquid and gets out of the chair on slightly wobbly legs. The pills apparently had the right effect and he stomps over to John Eldritch, slaps him across the face with a Herring, insert an elderberry into his left nostril and glares harshly at a particular annoying dust-mote to the side of John's head.

"Get back on the other side of the line."

Hortan then realises what he just did, faints and collapses into an undignified heap.
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / Automaticity