Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / TradeWars
- - By Silverwolfe Date 2009-08-26 21:41
I was cleaning up my old laptops files and such and ran into SWATH. It was the term I used to play TradeWars on BBS's years ago. I spent years playing TW and VO seems so much like it I guess that's why I enjoy VO so much. I saw someone is trying to do TradeWars as an MMO but I was disappointed in it.
Anyone else remember that old game?
Parent - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2009-08-26 23:16
Hmm, not I ..
Parent - - By Corvinus Date 2009-08-27 02:13
I vaguely remember it.  I mostly played netrunner.

Corvinus

Purveyor of the finest cornflakes.
Parent - - By Silverwolfe Date 2009-08-27 02:43
Yes, I remember Netrunner. Early 90's I believe. Roughly based on Neuromancer if I remember correctly. There were a lot of great games during that time. My wife was a TeleArena addict. I mentioned TradeWars because it had so many similarities with VO.
Parent - - By Corvinus Date 2009-08-27 11:17
From what I can really tell VO's loosely based on elite.  They need some Bell and Braben references to see how many people catch it.
  Gibson wrote some good books.  Because of netrunner I read all his books.
Parent - By Silverwolfe Date 2009-08-27 17:49
I had forgotten about Elite. Great game. I can see the similarities.
Parent - - By John Eldritch Date 2009-08-27 19:47
Incarnate steadfastily denies any inspiration from Elite, and says none of the devs ever played it. However, it's the reason I'm here - all hail the Thargoids!
Parent - By Corvinus Date 2009-08-27 21:49
Thargoid battles were the best!  If you could hold your own against them you were a good pilot.  I just find it hard to believe.. He even included the mining beams, and fuel scoops. (although you don't have to buy them in VO) to pick up cargo.
Parent - - By Hortan Date 2009-08-27 14:39
oooh, cornflakes with Helio Mists? Crunchy Whisky Goodness!!!!
Parent - By Faustino Bashkir Date 2009-08-27 20:38
Nom
Parent - - By tsreknor (Commander / Trident Captain) Date 2009-08-27 23:37
VO is the only MMO I've played, unlike a lot of you folks. I got to it because I wanted something more interesting than my MS aircraft simulator, Googled something like "spaceship simulator," and the rest is history.

VO does remind me a lot of a standalone Mac game called "Escape Velocity Nova." Many similarities. Nova, however, lacks peytros.

-- tsreknor
TGFT/GSS/Office of the Chief
Parent - By Ecka Estenk (Councilor / Trident Captain) Date 2009-08-30 21:00
Yep , Elite on the commodore 64 or bbc micro was superb , given the limitations of the hardware.
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / TradeWars