Not logged inThe Guild of Free Traders - Discussion Forum
Forum The Guild of Free Traders Help Login
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / My New Rig
- - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-18 08:29
If you don't like nerds bragging about their computers, feel free to NOT read this post!

I've just arranged a new Monster of a PC, and while most of the points are nailed down, some are still being polished, but the order has been finalized, and once my dealer and I agree 100% on the price, this is what I get:

ASUS Blitz Extreme Motherboard
Zalman 650W PSU (chassis still a bit fuzzy, "whatever they have in stock", probably)
Intel Pentium C2D E6850 CPU (3GHz, I think.  The clock frequency is irrelevant now anyway :P)
AC freezer 7 CPU heatsink
4GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM
More SATAII diskspace than I'm likely to fill.  *cough* (~1TB)
ASUS 8800 ULTRA graphics board.
Samsung 226bw monitor
I'll be using it strictly as a gaming rig, so it'll be running Windows Vista.

The price is likely to land around SEK 38000, or around GBP 2700, USD 4500 or EUR 4000.

O.o  I must be insane!
Parent - - By Surbius Date 2007-08-18 14:38
Uhhhh. Ya, that's a bit pricey. Do you think you really need it?

4GB?! Better hope it will see that, I heard it will stop at 3.2GB and use the rest for hardware or something of the like.

Have you looked at Newegg?  I know you can get great deals but I'm not sure if they ship overseas, maybe there is a duplicate somewhere in Europe.

Oh, will you be building it?
Parent - - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-18 17:10
Don't worry about the price, I can afford it.
As for the "really need it" part, no, I don't "really need it".  What I really need is a blanket and about half a kilo of oatmeal every 36 hours.  I like to live a little above what I "need" :)
Of course, I understand what you mean, but the same principle applies.  This will not be much more expensive than my current computer was when I bought it, and that has served me very very well for five years, and will continue to serve me for at least another 3-5 before it's really obsolete.  Going ultra-high-end is really a good idea, if you can afford it. :)

Vista does NOT have the 3.2GB limit.  The limit for Vista is somewhere around five terrabytes.
The RAM price alone is about a quarter of the total, so I've done some serious reading on the subject.
Linux has handled over 1TB of RAM for years :)

About NewEgg, I'm not buying from outside Scandinavia, not in a million years.
Well, not directly, anyway.  Consumer rights are awesome in Scandinavia, and I want to make the best of it.
Besides, if something messes up, I want to put it on the dealers counter and say "Replace this part, please"
Also, the price includes two monitors.  I forgot to list the 19" TFT I'm getting for my wife.

Of course I'll be building it, unless the dealer offers to do so for free :)
Parent - - By Esson Lennenk Date 2007-08-19 01:04
That looks like a great new rig for you :)  I know I'm enjoying my somewhat outdated uber rig, though I paid about 1/4 what you did, but its uber enough for me.  I should have probably gone single GPU instead of using SLI, cuz that really heats up the system so its a bit noisy now.  Its overkill for this game, but I'm sure you'll find a game to put it through its paces.  Oblivion is pretty fun for a while if you like some random RPG games.
Parent - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-19 06:04
I have just one word to drop on that:  Bioshock
Parent - - By auouymous Date 2007-08-20 05:30
You want a "PC Power and Cooling" PSU and don't tell me you can't afford one. And why spend $4500 on a computer but only $35 to cool it? You need to allocate another $500-1000 for cooling. Get water blocks for the cpu, video card and northbridge.
Parent - - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-20 05:33
Did you look at that motherboard at all?
I don't need water-cooling to begin with.  At all.
Parent - - By Moda Messolus Date 2007-08-20 12:48
water cooling is actually overrated.  You do not need to spend $500 for any water cooling setup.  For a proper water cooling rig you need 1/2" tubing, an aquarium water pump, a car's heater block (like a chevette) that does 7/16" or 1/2" and the chip blocks.  The chip blocks, pump and radiator is around $25-$50 each.  You can get a complete kit for $150-$300,  if you go the route I mentioned it's on the lower side.

OR

just get 120mm heat sink's :)

Naturally the overlooked areas on cooling happens to be the case and power supply.   Location is a HUGE key here, you would be super shocked at how moving the case 5 foot would make a HUGE difference in things.

Ed
Parent - - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-20 19:04
Hehe, I don't think you guys realize I do this for a living.
Parent - - By Moda Messolus Date 2007-08-20 20:20
Actually no I was not aware of that.  I do this for a living as well.

Ed
Parent - - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-21 05:57
I work for Hewlett Packard, primarily as a Technical Support Monkey, but also in many other roles.
HP just signed a major new deal with ASUS (well..  uh... March?) so we've all been looking at ASUS-based systems.
I can tell you this:  The Blitz Extreme does not /need/ additional cooling.  You might /want/ additional cooling, but a single 120mm for the CPU heatsink is fine.  The chipset takes care of itself through the built-in heat exchange in the board.
Anyway, if I'm going with liquid cooling, it won't be water ;)
I have access to some pretty nasty heat-transporting fluid originally intended for high-yield server clusters, and that stuff is magic.
Parent - - By auouymous Date 2007-08-22 02:38
I've been using ASUS boards for over a decade now in every system I build. Great boards but they do get hot when you overclock the processor and ram by 50%. I have one 3/8" loop cooling the northbridge and video ram and a 1/2" loop for the cpu and gpu. Water cooling is the only way you can cool the cpu and gpu with SIX 120mm fans. And with a bit of case modifications those radiator fans double as case fans to cool the other components.

Cheap water cooling parts are okay if you have cheap computer parts but there's no reason to start spending less if cost didn't matter when shopping for the computer parts.

Water cooled systems look so much better than air cooled. :)
Parent - By Zathras (Architect of The Great Machine) Date 2007-08-22 05:42
They look the same.  I don't like windowed cases.
Anyway, I'm not buying a state of the art rig, just to overclock it right away.  Maybe when it starts aging.
Up Topic Public Area / Off-Topic / My New Rig